One of the biggest reasons parents often struggle in parenting is that they don’t fully realize the power of their influence. If you feel like you are constantly in maintenance mode, in taking care of your kids, you must listen to this episode.
We tackle the important aspects of identifying the challenges with your kids in terms of behavior, attitudes, and character and how to make some decisions to influence those by using the power of your words that influence your uniquely needed family culture for the new year.
You will learn the three simple steps to doing this that are likely to make a big impact with your kids and your marriage this year.
Key Takeaways From This Episode:
- Words are powerful and most parents underestimate their power in speaking life and death to their children and how this impacts their identity.
- Culture is the real behavior when no one’s looking, often at odds with what parents think is true.
- Use biblical language with your kids. For example: Don’t say they are being naughty, tell them they are being sinful. It becomes a spiritual lesson vs. a personal attack.
- When you talk about sin, it’s not attached to their identity, but it’s a symptom and reflection of what’s in their heart.
- Parenting is a long game, don’t play it short. Otherwise, you won’t do the right things in the moment.
- Be honest with your kids and admit when you mess up.
- Don’t be a hypocrite. Make sure your words align with your actions.
- Three steps to creating your unique family culture (You’ll have to listen to get this).
Scripture From This Episode
Roman’s 12:2 “and do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
James 1:26 “ If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.”
Matthew 12:26 “But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.”
Matthew 12:34 “Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”
Proverbs 22:15 “Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.”
All Ministry Resources: becourageousministry.org
Social Media For Christians – BE COURAGEOUS app
- Exclusive access to the courageous kid’s podcast. Play it for your kids to stir up good discussions.
- Monthly LIVE Q&A with the Tolpins; ask the anything.
- Powerful Biblically minded community.
- Topic-based discussion groups.
- You get your own profile and can connect with others.
- Resources on marriage, parenting, homeschooling, pregnancy/birth, and more.
We look forward to engaging with you on the inside!
FREE COURAGEOUS PARENTING WORKSHOP
Relevant Resource Links:
The Homeschooling Blueprint, the online program to boost your effectiveness & help your kids thrive.
Parenting Mentor Program, A 6-Week, self-paced online program giving you the Biblical Parenting Model
Postpartum Course, The First-Ever Christian Postpartum Course!
- FREE Courageous Parenting Workshop; Get the Parenting Packet Download!
If The Spirit Prompts You to Financially Support (We are a for-profit, for social good organization.)
- Financial Giving, is important to support our family and expand the impact of the ministry. We aim to impact 10 million families and their legacies. We are in full-time ministry as a family of 9 at home, so everything makes a difference.
Thank you for being part of this movement to equip 10 million families and their legacies with Biblical truth to raise confident Christian kids in an uncertain world.
I thank God so much for these podcasts about parenting. I have twins- 2years old. My desire has been in building a culture that will help then get the path they will not forget when they are old. This totally resonates with me and is so beneficial. I will surely pass on the knowledge to other parents. Super excited.
I was just recommended listening to your podcast and so far (episode 3) LOVING it! Thank you so much. I was wondering if you could give us some more examples of speaking biblical language to our children. Or a resource that explains that more.