Today we are discussing the most sensitive and difficult topic we have ever talked about and quite possibly the most burdensome topic we will ever discuss on this podcast!
This has been a burden on our hearts for years and one which we have talked to our children about multiple times, the topic is suicide.
Do Christians Who Commit Suicide Go To Heaven?
The Implications of The Message
Speaking On Whether Someone Who Commits Suicide Is Going To Heaven or Hell.
We have gotten so many questions about this because there have been multiple situations in the news lately about leaders in churches and proclaiming Christians who have committed suicide.
This is an epidemic! We looked up the stats on this topic and they are truly tragic.
800,000 suicides are committed every year! That means that every forty seconds someone commits suicide.
For every suicide that is carried out, there are 25 other failed attempts.
That means that worldwide there are 20 million suicide attempts every year.
First and foremost, our hearts our hurting for those who have lost someone through suicide, its tragic and probably touches everyone who is listening one way or another, because statistically you probably know someone who has carried out this heartbreaking act.
We also want to say that this is something we talk about in our parenting mentor program, and this is the main reason we have felt convicted to discuss this topic because this is the courageous parenting podcast and we feel called to rise up and talk about the topics that are most relevant and difficult to talk about.
This is a topic that parents need to talk to their kids about because suicide is the second leading cause of death for young kids and adults between ten and thirty-four years old.
We are going to dig into why this is such an epidemic and some reasons why it’s happening.
This is going to be a two-part series because, in the second episode of the series we have to teach about how to discuss suicide with your kids, we have had this discussion with our kids multiple times.
We are going to discuss 14 different scriptures from the bible regarding suicide in this podcast. These are important scriptures, and because of the sensitivity of this topic, we are going to try and move slowly to rightly divide the word of God and bring to light the truth regarding suicide.
We believe that there is not enough biblical conversation surrounding this topic, and the reason is that you are going to offend somebody no matter what you believe regarding this topic.
Our goal in this episode and all of our thirty-nine previous episodes is to look at the bible for what it is and to bring forth the biblical truth that it contains, at the same time having an eye for equipping confident Christian kids for an uncertain world.
The messages coming out right now publically from leaders about suicide are incredibly dangerous to kids.
Today at this exact moment we have church leaders leading the flocks astray by preaching false messages about suicide and filling children with false truth which is and will continue to cause serious problems regarding their eternity.
Psalm 103:8 says “The Lord is merciful and gracious, Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.” God is a merciful God!
Our stance overall is that we do not have the answers for everything!
You may be listening to this podcast and hoping for a very straightforward answer and we are going to be very careful in that.
Also, Psalms 34:17-20 says “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears And delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all. He guards all his bones; Not one of them is broken.”
1. The Implications of The Message
- The first section of this that we want to talk about is the implications of the message that someone who committed suicide is now in heaven. Authoritatively giving that message is extremely dangerous!
- So we are going to talk about this using God’s truth and logical sense.
- So let’s jump in!
- We just want to reiterate that our heart is what God calls all our hearts to be as Christians. In Luke 6:36 it says “Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.” that is our call as Christians.
- So when people are struggling because they lost someone through suicide we are to be merciful in that. But being merciful does not mean we should compromise biblical truth.
- life gets hard at times for everyone.
- When life gets hard, if we can control our exit from this world and know that we are going to heaven, that is problematic!
- Heaven is amazing! If you read the scriptures about how amazing heaven is, it is way better than living on earth. And if people understood how awesome heaven is and as Christians we should, then who wouldn’t commit suicide if they know they can be in heaven especially if they are in a painful situation?
- If that message is preached to children then how are they going to receive it? If it’s easy to just give up when you are getting bullied or life is really hard. Think back to when you were a child, everything when you are that age, every little thing seems way bigger than it is! It seems like your life is ending, you feel like you can’t show your face at school there are a million things that wreck the emotions of a child that age!
- And that was before! There are so many worse things going on in this day in age! Kids now have access to social media, the internet, etc. there are so many horrendous things happening that make kids rather not continue! And that is completely from the enemy. When there is a kid in this deep dark place and they believe that there is a heaven that they can escape to they are in a very challenging place.
- Of course, we want to teach our children that Heaven is a place that we should desire to be in, and teach them about what the bible says about heaven and its rich reward!
- When a pastor, for example, kills himself and it is made public that he went to Heaven when people read that they go “wow, pastors know the bible inside and out. Pastors are closest to God if he can’t finish the race then how can I?”
- When that happens to someone you looked up to often it’s hard to imagine that you can do what they couldn’t. And so what happens is you too, give up.
- Psalm 139:16 says “Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me When as yet there were none of them.”
- So, God has planned out every day of our lives! He has numbered our days. So we do not get to number our days! God has already numbered our days!
- This is such a great scripture verse to memorize with your kids, they need to understand that God knows them, that they are loved, and that God has a purpose for their life!
- There is real depression, and there is real mental illness and we have known people with real problems!
- At some point almost everyone has had a suicidal thought or at least a thought of feeling like you have no purpose and that there is no point to anything.
- A common belief is that depression is something thrown on you and you can’t escape it. That God is not powerful enough to break you free from it. Depression is commonly viewed as a symptom of many issues that need to be dealt with, whether it be physical, emotional, spiritual; or a combination of the three. And if you are someone who struggles with depression we urge you to go and find help, you need to get help.
- With Christians, commonly, there is a shame that comes with admitting you have depression or struggling with things or sin in your life. And for the Christian Gods word has a lot of help. God can heal us but sometimes He allows us to walk through these hard depressed times for a purpose. It refines us. When we are weak he is strong and sometimes we need to struggle in order to learn.
- When a Christian is depressed or struggling with something and they take their life, it sends a message to the world that God couldn’t heal them. And that is a false message.
- We need to be careful because there are little ears and little eyes that are watching and what messages are they taking in as they are processing?
- So let’s say, for example, a father commits suicide, and it is being said that he is now in heaven. What is going to happen to the kids when they hit hard times? They looked up to their father, they miss their father, they want to see him. And then they think, oh I can just quit and go see my dad. This happens!
- There have been multiple situations where someone dies or kills themself and then loved ones or family members do the same to be with them.
- This is all because it is being said that they are now in heaven! We have an enemy, the devil, and he is out to kill and destroy! There is an attack on Christians because we are a threat to his work. So we need to be aware that he is going to try and deceive us and tell us lies!
- Satan wants us all dead, his ultimate goal is to bring as many people as he can into hell and when we are promoting a message that is helping his agenda, that is not okay!
- A Christian’s life is not meant to be easy paul says the opposite over and over that there are going to be challenges and sometimes those challenges we are experiencing are to sanctify us!
- We have experienced some major challenges in the past and frankly, people have ended their lives over the kind of things we experienced.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 says “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.”
- If you are struggling to find purpose in struggles then we strongly encourage you to read through 2 Corinthians 1 it is all about the reasons behind trials and tribulations.
- Angie shares story about losing a baby and almost dying, she explains how there is a need for awareness and sympathy and compassion for people who are going through loss (tune in to this weeks episode to hear the full story!)
- Growth happens in the valley, not on the mountain top.
WEEKLY TIP AND THE FREE DATE NIGHT ONE SHEET!
2. Spiritual Warfare
- So let’s go into this next section here, there is a real battle!
- Spiritual warfare is happening, the devil doesn’t want people to be alive, he doesn’t want people to succeed at spreading the gospel.
- Ephesians 6:11-18 says “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints”
- This scripture clearly tells us to protect ourselves, to use the word of God to be praying and communicating with God daily so that our minds our not deceived and so that we can live in joy and community with God!
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 says “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,”
- We have to hold our thoughts captive, we have to have a disciplined mind if we let our mind wander to wherever it wants it will gravitate towards the weirdest things!
- If we view ourselves to the level that God views us through what Jesus did on the cross we would think well of ourselves, not lacking humility, but we would have confidence that we are saints! The bible says we are saints.
- We need to teach our kids to wield the armor of God! So many kids leave the home not knowing that there is a spiritual battle taking place!
- Why would the enemy want you to kill yourself if you were going to heaven?
3. The Biblical Truth
- Your body is not yours.
- 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 says “Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.”
- Our body is not ours, It is Gods, and we must understand that!
- We do not have the right to end our lives or hurt our bodies!
- 1 John 3:15 says “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”
- Exodus 20:13 says “You shall not murder.”
- So, the notion that you can kill yourself and get to heaven is a very dangerous one. Murder is killing a human being, suicide is murder, it is the premeditated killing of yourself!
- When the bible says thou shall not kill it does not say if it is in the first second or third person it just says not to kill!
- There is a popular belief that it doesn’t matter what you do on earth, you will still go to heaven. You can live like hell on earth and you will still go to heaven. This is a false belief! If you read the scriptures it is very clear that the only way to heaven is through Jesus and when we sin we are separating ourselves from Jesus!
- John 10:28-29 says “And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand.”
- Most people misinterpret this scripture because it says “neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand” but what it doesn’t say is that you cant walk away by your own free will.
- The main point we are trying to make here is that no one, no leader, no pastor no person should ever say with certainty that someone who Commits suicide is in heaven, neither should anyone say that they are in hell! We are humans, we are finite we cannot know the answers to every eternal question. It is extremely dangerous to make a declaration that someone is in heaven or hell because we just can’t know and if we talk in such a manner we could be leading someone down a very dark path.
- 800,000 suicides are committed every year! That means that every forty seconds someone commits suicide.
- For every suicide that is carried out, there are 25 other failed attempts.
- That means that worldwide there are 20 million suicide attempts every year.
- Suicide is not something to be taken lightly!
- Matthew 10:21-22 says “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.”
- He who endures to the end will be saved. We are called to run the race! If you kill yourself you are not running the race you are going against Gods plans for your life and quitting before it’s over.
4. Speaking On Whether Someone Who Commits Suicide Is Going To Heaven or Hell.
- All we can know for certain is what the bible says. And if someone is standing on the pulpit and preaching their opinion like it is true then you need to be careful.
- We do not know for sure whether you will go to heaven if you kill yourself. All we know is the scriptures that we have shared with you and the other ones we have read. And it for sure leans towards the case that if you kill yourself you won’t necessarily go to heaven. But we do not know for sure! And God is a merciful God! And God may deal with certain situations differently.
- We are not here saying that we know the answer, because we do not. We are not condemning anyone. All we know is that God is a loving, just, merciful God, and we do know the danger in saying that people who kill themselves will go to heaven.
- And our biggest concern is for the next generation and what they are being tough about life and heaven and hell.
- 2 timothy 4:7 says “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
- And this is our message to you. If you have lost someone, if you are going through hard times remember this verse, fight the fight, finish your race and keep the faith!
- James 3:1-2 says “My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.”
- Mark 9:42 says “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.”
- Matthew 18:6 says “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.”
- If you are out there and you are preaching something indefinitely, then you had better know that it is biblical truth and that there is no opinion or bias added to it.
- It is okay for you as a parent, leader or pastor to say that you don’t know. It shows humility and the truth is that you don’t know the answer to certain things!
- Love is not always touchy-feely. Love is telling the truth in a way that people can receive it. Love is exhortation.
- You may disagree with us at points and that is okay, our heart is to share biblical truth so if you disagree, we encourage you to study the scriptures we have listed and find even more so that you can come to a sound biblical stance on the issue of suicide. And then once you have found your stance, talk to your kids about it! You may think that your kids will be fine and it won’t happen to them, but don’t be prideful. Talk to your kids, hear their hearts, and teach them to walk biblically.
Scriptures In This Episode:
Psalm 103:8 – “The Lord is merciful and gracious,
Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.”
Psalms 34:17-20 – “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all. He guards all his bones; Not one of them is broken.”
luke 6:36 – “Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.”
Psalm 139:16 – “Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.”
2 Corinthians 1:3-5 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.”
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 – “Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.”
1 John 3:15 – “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”
Exodus 20:13 – “You shall not murder.”
Matthew 10:21-22 –“Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.
John 10:28-29 – “And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.”
2 timothy 4:7 – “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
James 3:1-2 – “My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.”
Mark 9:42 – “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.”
Matthew 18:6 – “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.”
- National Suicide Prevention Line: 1 (800) 273-8255
- Suicide Facts & Statistics, Click here to see the stats for yourself!
- Parenting Mentor Program, A 6-Week, self-paced online program giving you the Biblical Parenting Model
- FREE Courageous Parenting Workshop; Get the Parenting Packet Download!
- Courageous Mom Essentials, Join Angie’s team with Young Living!
Support The Ministry
- DONATE, to become a bigger part of shifting the culture of future generations through impacting 1 million families and their legacies. We are in full-time ministry as a family of 10, everything makes a difference.
Thank you for being part of this movement to equip 1 million families and their legacies with Biblical truth to raise confident Christian kids in an uncertain world.