It’s so important that we have a clear simplified plan to teach the Bible to our kids otherwise, we never get to it. Does it ever feel like, despite the desire and importance to do something like that, it goes by the wayside to all the other demands in life? You will get complete clarity on how to do Bible time with your kids in this episode. It’s vital that this starts as a marriage conversation before you implement and ideally us men would initiate these efforts.
Here’s an encouragement to you men; you are the pastors of your own home. God gave you that authority and leadership role. The wives are also leaders too but us men must reject passivity, stand for biblical truth and lead unapologetically.
Here’s an encouragement for wives; if you are waiting for your husband to lead, be patient, kind, and don’t be nagging him. But I would encourage you to have the tough conversation through sharing your heart with him about how you really appreciate his Biblical insight and how you know the kids look up to him and how much influence he has in their lives.
Empower him and encourage him specifically; “I would love it if you prayed with us; I would love it if you read the Bible with us.” It’s also important to be quiet at times when he’s making even the smallest efforts to lead. It can be really discouraging if you interrupt or disrupt his train of thought.
This is a beautiful way to show our kids what a Biblical marriage is supposed to look like by building one another up, praying together, with the husband leading spiritually.
Anybody can do this, and it’s crucial for your legacy, but you must first be in the word yourself.
The word is the sword of the spirit and you are inviting God to work in your family when you read them the word of God and pray with them. You are a conduit of the truth’ to your kids. If you go to battle and you’ve never touched your sword before, how well are you going to wield it? Do you know the geography of your Bible?
Spiritual Leadership Simplified
- Pray out loud with your wife and kids
- Read scripture out loud in front of your wife and kids
- Discuss spiritual things
- Model a relationship with God
Bible Time Simplified
1. Pick a good time to do it and commit
- Develop discipline and rhythm you are vigilant not to miss
- Do it for 15-30 minutes, it can expand if the kids proactively want it to
- As they get older they start asking more and deeper questions
- Wives need to help to protect this time and encourage your husband to spend the time to prepare.
- Also, protect the time when your husband is teaching by helping keep the kids focused and limiting interruptions
2. Teach Scripture
- Review the scripture you want to teach
- Pick a book of the bible like Proverbs, John, James, Romans’ and teach a few scriptures a day
- One of Isaac’s rule is to not skip scripture if he’s committed to reading through a book of the Bible
- Use a study Bible so you have commentary so you can quickly understand it
- Pick the point you are going to make about the scripture that’s relevant to your family
- Get intel from your wife so you are in the know about family dynamics/relationships
- Read it
- Discuss it
- It’s so important to ask questions and let your kids explain what it means
- Slow down and ask them so they get involved
If you are lacking confidence, ask God. He promises to give us wisdom.
**Here’s a 2.0 addition if you dare
- Relate the scripture to real life
- Be aware of what’s happening in the real world
- It’s important to get articles curated through an app so it’s easy to get snapshots of what’s happening
- Topics to discuss; normalization of sin, abortion, politics, current events…
- Sometimes people need to hear things in a group setting to receive feedback that’s not directed right at them
If we aren’t using the sword of the spirit, we aren’t preparing our kids for battle. They are launching into an uncertain world. We’re not to fear the world at all. There’s nothing to fear if your kids fear God, the kind of fear that’s reverential with awe for God’s authority over their lives.
Your kids should want to please you, but in the moments of challenge with peer pressure, for example, they should do the right thing because they want to please God even more.
- Encourage strengths in people in front of the family
- Get your kids to talk about their siblings
- Who do you think is really patient in our family?
- The most important person the Dad should affirm during bible time is his wife
- It transforms the day and the kids respecting mom
- Sets the tone for the culture and atmosphere of the home
- This is a great opportunity to teach your kids how to pray
- Ask what and who needs prayer
- If you want God to do something for your family, make sure your kids are praying
- Pick your time
- Teach Scripture
Scriptures In This Episode
Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Deuteronomy 6:6-9 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”
James 1:5 ” If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”
2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
Romans 10:17 ” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- FREE COURAGEOUS PARENTING WORKSHOP – A quick but powerful online workshop on how to be a courageous parent. (This is completely free)
Ways You Can Support The Ministry
- Parenting Mentor Program, a 6-Week, self- paced online program giving you the Biblical Parenting Model
- CourageousMom.com is a blog with tons of free resources as well as best-selling courses and the top Christian Pregnancy and Birth book, “Redeeming Childbirth”
- Courageous Mom Essentials, join Angie’s team with Young Living!
- Send an email to [email protected] if you’d like to financially support the ministry
Thank you for being part of this movement to equip 1 million families and their legacies with Biblical truth to raise confident Christian kids in an uncertain world.