We begin to answer one of the most asked questions in parenting; how to raise obedient kids. You will learn two vital and foundational aspects of training kids to be obedient.
You will get the raw biblical truth and practical wisdom you need in this episode on parenting. And it relevant no matter how old your kids are. Without these two keys, everything else you do will likely fail over-time.
We speak from experience having 8 kids, ages 3 months to 18 years old, and seeing the fruit from our experience of following the biblical parenting model.
Key Takeaways From This Episode
- Parenting is the most meaningful leadership role that can change the world.
- Shift your perspective of when your kids are disobedient to a teaching opportunity versus a burden.
- They will disobey you if they don’t understand there’s an awesome God that directly tells them to do so.
- Do they see your relationship with God? What are the ways they see you loving and obeying God?
- Include God in your discipline conversation. “God gave me the role to point out your bad behavior, and let you know it’s wrong. It’s wrong because you are sinning, which creates separation between you and God.
- Teach them about Sin. Are kids sinful? Yes
- You must believe in the whole word of God, otherwise, you have a weak proposition the older they get.
- The Bible is the sword of the Spirit that is useful in the spiritual battles. Do you know how to wield it well? Will your kids also wield it well because of your example?
- Culture has embraced moral relativism which says there is no such thing as sin, therefore there’s no need for a Savior. That’s the battle your kids face.
- Your kids must know what sin is and that it causes separation from God, but that only works if your kids have a high interest in growing a relationship with God. It’s your job to teach them so that desire grows.
- Teach your kids to be introspective so they understand when they sin and teach them the importance of confessing their sin and repentance.
- It’s not about your kids behaviors, you should care about their heart condition.
- The behavior is the condition of the heart, we want to point them to God.
- Don’t take disobedience so personally that you become emotionally affected and lack self-control. You are called to be the peacemaker that teaches your child how to experience reconciliation and restoration in their relationships. It starts in your relationship with your child and then goes a step farther as you teach them how to be in restored relationship to the Father, through repentance.
- You need to be the kind of Man or Woman that you want them to become.
- Model humility and being honest when you mess up. This is how you show them what kind of Christian they should strive to be.
- Lack of consistent follow through with discipline is the signature reason kids keep disobeying.
- If you lack consistent follow through you are teaching them what they can get away with.
- It’s never too late to chase after your child’s heart.
Scripture From This Episode
Nehemiah 9:6 “You alone are the Lord;
You have made heaven,
The heaven of heavens, with all their host,
The earth and everything on it,
The seas and all that is in them,
And You preserve them all.
The host of heaven worships You.”
John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
John 14:21 “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”
John 14:31 “But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do. Arise, let us go from here.”
Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Proverbs 22:15 “Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.”
Romans 5:12 “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned”
Ephesians 6:17 “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;”
Thank you for being part of this movement to equip 1 million families and their legacies with Biblical truth to raise Confident Christian kids in an uncertain world.
If you want to dig deeper with us to create lasting transformation in your family, check out the Courageous Parenting Online Mentor Program.